Saturday, May 14, 2011

Apple Cranberry Harvest Muffins

The most recent new recipe I have tried is "Apple Cranberry Harvest Muffins" from 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favoriteswritten by Camilla V. Saulsbury.

I had some wrinkly Granny Smith apples that were begging to be baked into something.  They were definitely past their prime, but not a lost cause all together. I also have half a freezer full of frozen cranberries and am always up for baking something new that uses some of them up. In addition, the recipe called for shredded carrots plus some other pantry staples that I had on hand.  So this recipe was looking like a good one to try.  

As with most muffin recipes, this one came together fairly quickly.  The only substitution I made was to use white-whole-wheat flour instead of the all-purpose flour called for in the recipe.  I have found this substitution to be very successful in a variety of muffin and quick bread recipes. White-whole-wheat flour is a milder variety of whole wheat, so I find the taste is closer to all-purpose flour while keeping the nutrition of whole-wheat.  I personally wouldn't make this substitution in other more delicate baking recipes such as cookies or cakes where the difference in flavor would be more noticeable.  

I also only put pecans in half of the recipe since my husband doesn't like nuts.  When I went to try them, I accidentally ate one of the muffins without the nuts (oops!), but I'm kind of glad I did because I got to try both versions.  They were both delicious and I would definitely make this recipe again. The touch of cinnamon in the recipe really makes the flavors all come together.

Overall, I would highly recommend this cookbook. While 750 probably sounds like more muffin recipes than you would ever dream of needing, I have to applaud Camilla for her creativity. The variety in this cookbook is fantastic and almost every single recipe looks like something I would like to try. So far all the recipes I have made from it have been home runs including:

Multigrain Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Berry Corn Muffins
Cranberry Multigrain Muffins
Honey, Whole Wheat and Wheat Germ Muffins

I own several of Camilla's cookbooks and first discovered her through her blog Enlightened Cooking.  While I can't post the full recipe I'm writing about today, she has lots of delicious recipes on her blog including a few from this particular cookbook. I highly recommend checking it out :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment