Sunday, May 22, 2011

"Just something chocolatey..." (Black Bottom Cupcakes)

That was my brother's response when I asked him what he wanted me to make for his birthday dessert. Given that I absolutely love chocolate and own no less than 11 chocolate cookbooks, I figured I should have no problem honoring his request. I flipped through a bunch of my cookbooks and I wasn't finding anything I thought he would like AND was made with only ingredients I already had in the apartment. (I had procrastinated this particular baking project and I really did not want to go back out to the store at 10 o'clock at night.) So I moved onto my recipe binders and found a recipe for Black Bottoms that fit both of my criteria. This recipe was featured in a really cute article in Woman's Day magazine about the signature dishes of various staff members' Moms. Woman's Day is a magazine that I happen to receive for free and I rarely find recipes in it that appeal to me. However, this particular article really caught my eye. I had already made the Apricot Jam Tart from the same article for my Mom for Mother's Day, so I took a chance on this one hoping the results would be just as delicious. And boy were they good.  Moist chocolate cupcakes with a chocolate chip cheesecake topping, what's not to love?

If you want to try them yourself, just a few tips:
1. in my mini muffin pans they made 4 dozen, not 5 dozen
2. don't forget the 1 cup of water - it's written in the text of the recipe, but not in the ingredient list

As for the Apricot Jam Tart recipe, that was also fabulous and I definitely would make it again. I actually used peach jam in place of the apricot because I had a jar of my grandfather-in-law's homemade peach jam (delicious in and of itself). And I also went with pecans in the crust because I was out of almonds and thought pecans would go well with the peach filling. One word: Yum. It was universally like by all who tried it. The only thing I would do differently next time would be to use cookie cutters to make shapes (hearts maybe?) for the top layer of crust instead of the criss-crossing lattice. Though it was quite pretty, it was kind of a pain to make since the thin strips of dough kept tearing apart when I lifted them up off the table. This recipe seems to lend itself to different flavor substitutions, so if you are lucky enough to have a jar of homemade jam (or even a good quality store-bought jar), I'd give this one a try too.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to go on record and say the Black Bottoms were delicious. In fact, if they showed up in my birthday tin instead of (or with) chocolate chip cookie bars, I wouldn't complain.

    ReplyDelete