Saturday, June 25, 2011

Weeknight Dinner - Tortellini with Peas & Prosciutto

As much as I love to cook, it rarely happens of a work night.  By the time we get home, Nick and I are usually starving and end up pulling together something easy that will be ready quick and won't make a lot of dirty dishes. This usually means we eat a lot of leftovers, sandwiches, salads (for me), and frozen pizzas or hotdogs (for Nick) for dinner.  One night last week, we got home as usual, but I had a burst of motivation and decided I was going to cook real food on a work night for once.  My recipe of choice was Tortellini with Peas and Prociutto from the new cookbook Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals: 250 Fun & Fast Recipes.

I doctored up the recipe a bit because I was missing a few ingredients, but the end result was still quite good.  First, I used cheese tortellini instead of meat tortellini.  Second, in place of the tomato paste, pasta cooking water, and heavy cream, I substituted a generous amount of jarred marinara sauce. Third, instead of sprinkling the parmesan cheese on as a garnish, I added some extra and stirred it into the sauce to make it a little richer since I had skipped the heavy cream.  Last, I left out the fresh parsley because I didn't have any.  The end result was a delicious weeknight dinner that we both liked and that was on the table in less than a half hour.  In my book, that is nothing short of a miracle.  Now, if only something could be done about those dirty dishes...

No comments:

Post a Comment