Monday, July 18, 2011

Vacation Requests

Not the type that cause drama in the workplace.  Recipe requests, of course!  I just got home from an awesome week spent on the beaches of Ocean City, NJ (our own little slice of heaven on earth) with the majority of my Mom's side of the family.  As we always say, "We're either eating food, talking about food, planning the food for our next meal, or shopping for food."  Basically, we like food.  So a week away with family definitely involved a lot of good food and also the swapping of recipes.  I'd like to post some links to a few of the recipes that my fellow beach-goers thought they might like to try.

First, we have a delicious, healthy recipe packed with good for you ingredients: Barley, Black Bean, and Avocado Salad from Reader's Digest's Eat to Beat High Blood Pressure.  I got this recipe from my best friend who even cooked it for me once :)  I usually follow the directions to make it with brown rice, but either way is yummy.

Next, we have Parchment Baked Halibut with Pesto, Zucchini, and Carrots from Health Magazine, which I've posted about before, but it's so good, it's worth mentioning again. You can use any kind of white fish you like. (Once again, here is a link to the recipe for Basil Pesto from Giada DeLaurentiis' Everyday Italian.  You can just follow the instructions for the sauce by itself.)

Next, we have a delicious Light Fruit Vinaigrette from Camilla Saulsbury's blog Enlightened Cooking.  I like to make a Blueberry version following the Large Batch instructions and substituting Blueberry Jam for the Raspberry in the "Summer Raspberry Variation."  All the other variations sound amazing, but so far I've stuck with the Blueberry.  I brought two bottles of this yummy dressing on vacation with me and even the four-year old enjoyed it.  Any recipe that gets adults AND kids to eat more salad definitely qualifies as a home-run in my book.

I also need to mention a breakfast favorite: Multi-Grain Pancake Mix from Cooking Light Magazine.  My grandma, aunt, mother, and brother are already fans of this recipe, so I'd say it has a pretty good track record.  Grandma even brought a double batch of this mix to the beach this year.  I found this recipe a few years back and we love it so much because it is yummy, healthy, and easy to whip up ahead of time. When you are ready to make some pancakes (or waffles), it's as easy as using store-bought pancake mix, but so much better.  Just follow the directions for Multigrain Pancakes and you'll have breakfast in no time.

And of course we can't forget dessert: Lemon-Cranberry Cake from Better Homes and Gardens.  OK, the recipe is actually for Orange-Cranberry Cake, but sub in lemon zest and lemon juice for the orange, and voila, you have Lemon-Cranberry Cake.  I just happen to prefer lemon, but either way could work nicely.

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. For the Barley, Black Bean and Avocado Salad... Adding some chicken with Adobo to the salad is a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea, I forgot about that :)

    ReplyDelete