Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Spaghetti with Pesto and Tomato-Mozzarella Salad

I decided to try this quick and easy recipe from Good Housekeeping Family Vegetarian Cooking: 225 Recipes Everyone Will Love mainly because I had all the ingredients on hand.  I was in the mood for something simple and yummy that would also leave me some leftovers for tomorrow.  I pretty much followed the recipe as written, making only a few slight changes.  First of all, I chopped up one large Brandywine tomato from last weekend's farmers' market instead of using cherry tomatoes.  Second, I used my own pesto that I already had made and frozen in ice cube trays.  Trust me, after making three double batches of it this weekend, I was all too happy to pop a few cubes into the microwave to defrost and voila! ready to use -- so much easier than making it from scratch every single time.  And last, I used whole wheat angel hair and less mozzarella than called for because I only had the end of a package.  OK, so maybe I made more than a few changes, but the essence of the recipe remained the same.  The result?  Deliciously simple.  Can't wait to eat those leftovers tomorrow!

P.S. This is the cover recipe of this cookbook.  A beautiful full color photo -- talk about inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. Another delicious dish to use up some of those pesto cubes would be the eggplant pesto rollatini dish. It would be a good recipe to post. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete