Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Recipe All My Own - Spaghetti with Roasted Eggplant

I am the first to admit that creativity in the kitchen is not my strong suit.  I much prefer to peruse cookbooks, magazines, and blogs and choose other people's recipes to cook.  Yesterday, however, I just did not have the energy to hunt down the perfect recipe.  The clock was ticking, I was hungry, and I had three giant eggplants in the fridge that no one will touch except me (not that I'm complaining because, trust me, I love eggplant).  I was almost ready to give in and make a sandwich, when I realized that I actually could whip up something of my own invention.  Hence, my Spaghetti with Roasted Eggplant.  It is really rather simple, but quite yummy if I say so myself.  So if you like eggplant, you might want to give this a try.  If not, maybe you might also feel inspired to wing it in the kitchen every once in a while.

Spaghetti with Roasted Eggplant
Print Recipe

1 large eggplant, or 2-3 smaller ones
2 small onions, or 1 large
olive oil
salt & pepper
1 pound whole wheat spaghetti, or pasta of your choice
1 jar marinara sauce (I like this homemade sauce from Giada DeLaurentiis' Everyday Italian, or use your own favorite jarred or homemade sauce)
Pecorino Romano cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Chop eggplant and onions into bite size pieces.  On a jelly roll pan, toss veggies with enough olive oil to coat and season with salt and pepper.  Roast in oven approximately 20-25 minutes, stirring once halfway through.  Veggies are done when they are tender and lightly browned.

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain into a colander and set aside when finished cooking.

Warm marinara sauce briefly in the microwave or in a small saucepan.

In a large bowl or pot, combine spaghetti, warmed sauce, and roasted veggies, making sure to leave behind any excess olive oil in the roasting pan.  Toss to coat.  Serve with Romano cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment