Sunday, January 29, 2012

No-Bake, Fast & Easy Dessert - Cherry Almond Clusters

I've arrived home from my weekend in Poughkeepsie and I'm happy to report that every last crumb of the Cherry-Almond Bars I made were devoured and enjoyed (over-done edges and all). The only down-side to this was that I was so busy enjoying the new cookies that I didn't even get to taste the Chocolate, Fruit, and Nut Clusters my mom made. This is a favorite recipe I discovered many years ago in Health Magazine. Most of my family is nuts for chocolate and the darker the better, so we always make the clusters with just semi-sweet chocolate and skip the milk chocolate altogether. After I arrived home, I unpacked, ate dinner, and when I was looking for a little something sweet for dessert, I was really missing those clusters. I decided to make some of my own, but change it up a bit.  I swapped out the cranberries and pecans, trading them for cherries and almonds. Quick, delicious, and not even too terribly unhealthy (in my opinion, anyway). So here is my adapted version:

Cherry-Almond Clusters
Print Recipe

1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (my favorite is Trader Joe's brand)
1/3 cup dried tart cherries
1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds

1. Line a baking sheet or other flat surface with parchment or wax paper. (Trust me, you will regret it if you skip this step).

2. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the chocolate chips in 30 seconds increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth. Stir in the cherries and almonds until completely coated in chocolate. 

3. Drop mixture by the spoonful onto the lined baking sheet. You can make these any size you want, but usually somewhere in between a teaspoon and a tablespoon works well. Let sit until chocolate is set and no longer shiny. 

I store mine in a tin at room temperature, but if your house is too warm, you may want to refrigerate them. They will stay fresh for a week or so, but most likely they will not last that long!

2 comments:

  1. Look really yummy. I make something similar with dried apricots.

    By the way, found you on EYB!

    Thanks.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna and thanks for stopping by. Apricots do sound good. I'll have to check out your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete