Friday, January 6, 2012

An Old Favorite with a New Twist - Split Second Cookies

This weekend, Nick and I are traveling down to my parents' house for what I like to call our "third Christmas." Granted, we are not even in the correct year anymore, but since we always try to see all the branches of our family tree each holiday season, sometimes Christmas spills over into the New Year.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I never show up empty handed, so this brings me to today's recipe: Split Seconds.  This is an old recipe of my grandmother's that has been a family-favorite for years. My mom told me I could make them with whatever flavor jam I wanted, as long as some of them were tried-and-true raspberry.  This was actually the first time I made these cookies with anything other than raspberry, but I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. So, I decided to make half the cookies with homemade triple-berry jam from Nick's grandfather.  The triple-berry was really delicious, so I think next time I might try cherry, blueberry, or peach (all courtesy of Grandpa). This is a very basic recipe, so if you like butter cookies and jam give this a try with your own favorite flavor.

Split Second Cookies
Print Recipe

3/4 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (if you use salted butter, leave this out)
jam

Cream together butter and sugar. Stir in vanilla and egg. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until dough forms.

Divide dough into 4 parts. Roll each part into a 3/4-1 inch thick log. Place the 4 logs onto un-greased cookie sheets and flatten each to about 1/4 inch thickness. Make an indentation down the center of each strip, starting about 1/4 inch from each end. Fill each indentation with jam of your choice.

Bake 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. Cookies should be golden brown. Let cool slightly before cutting on the diagonal into individual cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment