Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Cookbook Recommendation - Serving Up the Harvest

It seems this blog has been a little neglected lately, but that doesn't mean I haven't been cooking (or baking)! So here's the first of my recent culinary experiments. Unfortunately, I can't give you the recipe, since it can't be found anywhere online (not in any legitimate places anyway). It is, however, from one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, so I still want to share it with you.  

Summer Squash Pizza from Serving Up the Harvest, by Andrea Chesman.



I made it with zucchini, but it can also be made with yellow squash or a combination. I have read so many stories about people who make homemade pizza "all the time" and I just wasn't buying that it was that easy. Well, this crust recipe made me a believer -- it truly was a snap to put together, mainly because you make it in a food processor and then just leave it alone for an hour. You do need to leave yourself some time, but it's hands-off time, so it really is super simple. I even substituted white-whole wheat flour for the all-purpose without any problem. While making this particular topping did take some extra time, I made the same crust last night for a cheese pizza and a pepperoni pizza and those came together in a snap.


 


As for the cookbook it came from, Serving Up the Harvest is truly one of my favorites. It's written by Andrea Chesman who also wrote The Roasted Vegetable, which is practically my Bible. I'm telling you, I don't think there is a single recipe I have made from either one of these books that hasn't been a smash hit. She has fabulous ideas for making the most of your fresh produce, and you know I love my veggies. Be warned though, if you happen to already own her The Garden-Fresh Vegetable Cookbook, it's the same book with a different cover. Stupid, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment