Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Couple of Scones

I've been making a lot of scones lately. I guess I've been missing my days in Scotland! These aren't exactly traditional flavors, but they are really delicious. I'm a big fan of a scone for breakfast or as an afternoon treat with a cup of tea. Sometimes I could swear I was born in the wrong country! I can't tell you how excited I was when travelling in the UK, to see that the hotel rooms are set up for tea drinkers rather than coffee drinkers, as they are here is the US. I was in heaven!

Anyways, back to the scones. For me, a perfect scone has a nice crunch on the outside, but is still tender on the inside. That is usually a pretty easy texture to achieve if you're eating the scones right out of the oven, but it can be difficult to maintain when saving a few for another day. After trying several different recipes, I've come to realize that one way to maintain that crisp exterior is to not skip the step that has you brush half-and-half/buttermilk/cream, etc. on top of the scones and then sprinkle with sanding sugar/turbinado sugar/cinnamon sugar, etc. This really does help keep the outside nice and crunchy and it also adds another layer of flavor.

As for the recipes, first we have Strawberry Lemonade Scones from Munchkin Munchies. I skipped the sanding sugar on this one and it was not my best idea. This recipe makes a delicious, not-too-sweet scone, but I was missing that crunch as I was eating the extras over several days. Luckily, there's a simple solution for that: I won't skip it next time!


Next, we have Whole Grain Cranberry Apple Scones from Susan Reid & Bon Appetit on Epicurious. These were SO good and I will definitely be making them again. I was skeptical about a whole grain scone, but these were incredibly tasty. Which is good because if I didn't want to make them again, I'm not sure what I'd do with the rest of the apple juice concentrate I bought specifically for this recipe! I forgot to take a picture of these ones, but I can tell you that even without a visual aide, the flavor was out of this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment